Mitragyna Speciosa is an evergreen plant. It is a tropical herb which is commonly known as Kratom. This herb is found only in the South-East part of Asia. The leaves of Kratom contain high concentration of alkaloids in them.
Kratom is available in the form of powder, capsules, extracts and crushed leaves as well. There are different methods of ingesting Kratom. It can be taken in by toss and wash method. Capsules can be ingested also. Kratom is mixed in food or different drinks to make it taste better. In short, Kratom can be chewed, drink or smoked. The method for ingesting Kratom depends upon the taste of the individual.
Kratom leaves contain three different vein colors. The leaves either contain red colored vein, white colored vein or green colored vein. Each of them is further classified into different strains depending upon the region or area in which they are harvested.
Kratom is not legalized in many states. In few states, this herb is officially permitted. The popularity of Kratom is also increasing in the United States and Europe. In the United States and Europe, Kratom has been used n a vey excessive amount. As the days are passing, Kratom is becoming more and more famous in the states of the US as well as in the countries of Europe.
- Working of Kratom in our body:
Following is the working mechanism of Kratom:
- Kratom is an herb which contains 40 different kind of active ingredients in them. These active ingredients are in the form of alkaloids. They act on opioid receptors present in our system. Structurally, it is totally different from opioid. The major alkaloids present in Kratom are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
- The active alkaloids present in Kratom binds as agonist with u-receptors. They bind as antagonist with K- receptors and delta-opioid receptors. Binding with u-receptors, alkaloids acts as partial agonist. These alkaloids, mitragynine and 7 hydroxymitragynine show high affiliation with these receptors.
- The 7 hydroxymitragynine shows more affinity for delta-receptors as compared to the mitragynine. Mitragynine has more affinity with k-
- Beside these alkaloids, Kratom contains two more alkaloids which also take part in these actions. These alkaloids include rhynchophylline and mitraphylline. These two alkaloids are the antagonist of NMDA receptors.
- The possessions of Kratom actually depend upon the dose taken. This is because at low dose, Mitragynine affinities with kappa and delta receptors. Whereas, at high dose it affinities with mu receptors.
- The level of 7 hydroxymitragynine is low as compared with mitragynine. According to some individuals and authors, the 7 hydroxymitragynine is way more potent and strong as compared to mitragynine. They think that 7 hydroxymitragynine has more oral bioavailability as compared to mitragynine. Moreover, according to them, the blood brain barrier penetration of 7 hydroxymitragynine is way better and improved then Mitragynine. Still the researches and studies are being done to find out that either this concept and thinking is right or not?